Last September was published The first annual Subtraction.com Design Tools Survey to capture a snapshot of this changing marketplace, to identify the current leaders, and hopefully to shed light on up and comers.
The survey questions were released online in June of this year for roughly two weeks via a questionnaire. Answers rolled in from over 4.000 participants hailing from almost 200 countries. The results range from expected to surprising, but I think you’ll agree that they all shed an illuminating light on what has become a very, very interesting market.
The heart of the survey asked participants to report on their favourite tools for each of six major design tasks:
- Brainstorming & Ideation, ranked first tool: Pencil and Paper
- Wireframing, ranked first tool: Sketch (by Bohemian Coding)
- Interface design, ranked first tool: Sketch (by Bohemian Coding)
- Prototyping, ranked first tool: HTML/CSS
- Project management, ranked first tool: Slack
- Version control & File management, ranked first tool: Dropbox
Discover all results of the survey at